Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Give and Get

Nothing happens to us that can't be used for God's glory. And there's nothing we have that can't be used for God's glory. I realized this recently in a profound and personal way.

Back in 2008, when I was still fresh from my divorce (separation, at the time), I participated in an "Experiencing God" study at my church. We were blessed to have a variety of people who were in a variety of stages in their lives and spiritual walks.

In the midst of an ongoing and frequently contentious divorce, I shared my attitude and perspective and how God was working with me. I have often been told how much people respected and admired my desire to be a godly ex-husband and my reluctance to malign or express hatred toward my ex-wife. It's not my first instinct. My first instinct is human - to lash out in anger, hatred and to slander and malign her every chance I get. Thankfully, the Spirit of God, and the prayers and influences of Godly people, have enabled me to have a Godly perspective most of the time. It's not to say that I don't have my moments. But all in all, God has enabled me to have a perspective that is more in line with how he wants me to respond - not what the world, TV shows, movies, comedians, friends, etc say is normal. Simply put - God worked in my life to give me a perspective and attitude that honors Him. And as a result, it has encouraged and motivated others. I take no credit. It's not of my own doing. It goes against all the instincts of my sinful nature. But thankfully, God has conquered sin and subsequently gives me the opportunity to cast those sinful instincts aside.

On the flip side, however, not everyone is going through hard times in which God can shine through. After all - the light shines brightest when it's darkest. A bright light doesn't really stand out on a sunny day. So how then can we use the light we've been given to bring honor to God? A friend from that same "Experiencing God" class has shown me. In short, God has been good to him. Not to say that his life is all roses and wine - I don't know. But his life is more stable at this time than is mine - he and his wife remain married, he sees his children every day, and he has a good job. He also has a private plane.

My children now live in south Georgia with their mother. This necessitates a five hour drive for them when they come to my house and then go back to their mother's house. When coming to my house they usually don't get to bed until after 11pm, though they do sleep some in the car. It's also a lot of driving for me. And I have to pass through Atlanta. On a recent trip I made mention on my Facebook page that I hated "driving" through Atlanta - especially since it's always around the rush hour time. I do not do well with traffic. I want to see my kids - not dozens of pairs of glowing red brake lights lined up in front of me. My friend saw this post and offered to fly me down and us back for our next visit.

He didn't have to make use of his aircraft and his time. But he chose to use the things God has blessed him with to the benefit of someone whose blessings are often seen through adversity rather than plenty.

The moral of the story is this - God gives us what we have, whether seen as good or bad, for us to use to glorify Him. Thankfully, God has enabled me to use my struggles to bring glory to Him. And again, this of not of my own doing, but completely through His grace. And now someone else is using their blessings to assist another.

God calls us to be a light in the darkness. If you're going through bad times and don't use them to benefit others - either by letting them learn from your lessons or showing them how God has blessed you through them - then those difficulties are wasted. If you're feeling comfortable and blessed and don't use those blessings to benefit others - then those blessings are wasted as well. Whatever you have - or don't have - troubles or blessings - let God use them to bring glory to Him and bring blessings to others. It's a great thing for all of us to experience!

No comments: