Saturday, September 27, 2008

My Random Thoughts on Divorce and Parenthood

On both counts, all I can really say is Thank God for my Sense of Humor! Please don't take all of this too seriously -- some of these ruminations are just coping mechanisms!

Since I've been separated and divorced I'm finding that I'm right much more now than I was when I was married!

I have found ways to save money and be more environmentally friendly -- I drink the milk out of the jug; use the same cereal bowl over and over again (just soak it in water between uses), and on the rare occasion I cook I eat right out of the pot. Less water used, less power used by the dishwasher, fewer dirty dishes! Who says a conservative can't be green! He just can't do it if he's married!!

I bought tan towels. They don't have to be washed as often. Again -- environmentally friendly!

The time I have with my kids is much more precious. When the family was together the weekends were split up amongst family time, spouse time, self-time, yard time, house time, football time, etc. Now, I get one weekend to do all my running around, sleeping in, football watching, chores (Ha! Like I have those now!). And when I have my kids -- the whole weekend is devoted entirely to them! I kind of like that part of it!

I can be friendly to waitresses, cashiers, etc. without looking like a flirtatious husband. Now I just look like a creepy older single guy. Ok... maybe that's not such an advantage...

When I took my kids to Clemson so my 6yo daughter could participate in a one-day cheerleader mini-camp, I had the sad realization, as I was in the midst of all those Clemson cheerleaders and Rally Cats (the dance team), that my 3yo son was closer in age to those girls than me -- unless they were seniors, then it was a draw. However -- I have a job, a car and am potty trained! That's gotta count for something, right?

Being a parent produces very conflicting emotions -- I love having them with me and spending time with them, yet I also typically can't wait until they go to bed! At which point I will peek in on them while they're sleeping and look at them when they're quiet, sitting still, and not hitting each other! Ah..... peaceful....

If my ex-wife is not conducting herself or our relationship in a way that is rational and logical -- I can call my attorney! Soon thereafter, I get a phone call or a text where she concedes how what I was talking about makes sense! It's almost worth the small fortune that he gets paid!

During the week if I can't find some of my clothes or something, I KNOW it is MY fault -- not just told it is!

If my kids want sweets or caffeine or things like that -- I can give it to them -- on the way to taking them back to their mom :)

When I hang a picture or mirror in my new place - it's always hung in the right place the first time!

No comments: